- 4 cups shredded peeled potatoes (about 4 large potatoes)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for frying
- Chopped parsley, applesauce and sour cream, optional
- Rinse shredded potatoes in cold water; drain well, squeezing to remove excess water. Place in a large bowl. Stir in egg, flour, onion, salt and pepper.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1/4 in. of oil over medium heat. Working in batches, drop potato mixture by 1/3 cupfuls into oil; press to flatten slightly. Fry both sides until golden brown; drain on paper towels. Serve immediately. If desired, sprinkle with parsley and top with applesauce and sour cream.